Old January 30th 04, 03:46 PM
JJ Sinclair

Geir wrote
But a sailplane ain't always flown well.
Nobody is perfect, not even you.

I don't claim to be perfect, but I do think too much emphasis is being spent on
spin training by some contries. For what its worth, I think we got it just
about right here in the US. Spins are demonstrated to the student and the rest
is up to the instructor. Most, I believe have the student show profiency in
immediate spin recovery (less than 1 turn). Reoccuring training (biennials) are
again, up to the instructor.

The brits, on the other hand, went out looking for a 2-seater that was easy to
spin and they found a GOOD one in the Puch. Mike believes that 15 have spun-in,
world wide and the Brits are investigating their 4th Puch-in.

Modern German sailplanes are quite well behaved and some won't spin at all. Why
are we continuing to overemphasize full blown spins? Purchase trainers that are
dificult to spin and teach spin avoidance. Sure, we should be comfortable with
a spin entry and immediate recovery, but some contries are making the cure more
deadly than the disease.

BTW, I'm talking about modern German gliders, If yiu fly the Puch, Lark (single
or 2-place) or the SZD 69, I would recommend extensive and recurring spin
training.
JJ Sinclair