Old March 24th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Practice IMC in real IMC

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Robert M. Gary wrote:
One one instrument proficiency check a few years ago, I had a CFII not
only
ask me to perform stalls, but also to make two steep turns, all while
flying on an IFR flight plan in IMC

Seems a bit like asking a student to practice spins on his turn from
base to final. Some things seem better to practice simulated. In my
aircraft the plane rolls over about 30 degrees in the stall and has a
pretty good nose down attitude. I wouldn't be excited to do that in
IMC.

I actually recover from stalls better under the hood than I do visually. A
stall feels much less dramatic to me when I can't see out and I tend to
respond faster and smoother than when stalling visually. I would have no
fear doing stalls in IMC with a competent instructor along.

Alas, one of the most (if not THE MOST) common forms of death in flying.

Steep turns in IMC is lunacy.

In IMC I'd rather follow the flight director and mine limits bank angles to
about 20 degrees.