Old December 30th 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

Default Looping a 152

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:07:05 PM UTC-5, Peter Stickney wrote:

Hi Dudley, good to see you.
Rolliing pullouts are special - and not in a good way.
They stress an airframe in unexpected ways -
Back in the late '40s/Early '50s, the Northrop F-89 jet interceptor suddenly
started coming apart in very public and very fatal crashes.
(At low altitudes, and often at airshows) Some if these were test birds
with V-G recorders on board - the data showed that the wings were failing
well within the tested G limits, and fatigue wasn't a factor.
These airplanes were grounded several times, and strict limitations placed
on them as they tried to suss out the problem,
It turns out that pulling Gs while rolling - especially with the tip tanks
on mounted - was imparting a twisting force on the wings that exceeded the
wing's torsional strength, snapping off the wing.

So - be careful, all, and remember that unless otherwise stated, the G
limits in the handbook are for symmetrical flight. If you start getting
complicated, you're becoming a test pilot.

--
Pete Stickney
Always remember to close all parentheses.

Hi Pete; Good to see you are hanging in. Hope you have been well.
I'm just passing through Usenet these days. Too exciting for me :-)))
Dudley