Old February 27th 20, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 5:08:31 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
"without injury" would have been nice.
The ground training I got (from Parachute Shop, Nashua NH)
made all the difference.

If you haven't already done so:
Get proper ground training from your nearest jump school,
covering how to do an emergency jump and landing.

Thanks Dave for the very informative presentations.

Hope it was helpful.

One take away is that static line will save more lives.
I know of at least one recent case of a pilot who managed to bail out but
did not deploy on time.

There have certainly been a few; I don't have stats.

Dave was one second or so from deployment to hitting the ground

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I was 1 second from impact when I got chute open.
I had between 7-15 seconds under canopy before impact, just enough to
grab toggles, turn into wind, and aim for the 'safer' spot I hit.

How common is it (static line) in the rest of the world...

Um, that's why all our gliders have the orange ring next to shoulder...

Most important: Get proper ground training on chute use!