Old May 21st 04, 11:46 PM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 19 May 2004 at 16:25:42 in message
, Bill-R wrote:

The more I think about this question, and it is certainly not a ridiculous
question, I recall Boeing doing tests on jets going back to the 707 days
with complete ground control via remote, so that they can crash test the
planes. So its been around and its been used and if it were implemented in
civil aircraft then it would be a bonus. Maybe it has been the cost factor
over the years why it hasnt been done, but I dont think it would be
technologically difficult to do it.

Remotely piloted full size aircraft go back years - certainly before
WW2. Everyone who has flown a radio control model has done it.

However the philosophical, psychological and safety aspects on doing
this with civil airliners is immense. There are problems of range,
control methods at distances and not least the danger that a system that
involved the possibility of remote compulsory take over seems, on the
face of it, something that might get a lot of attention from hi-jackers.
No need to risk their lives or commit suicide - they might just take
over a ground station or kidnap someone who knew the right codes and use
their own equipment. I can see even more possibilities for concern.
--
David CL Francis