Old April 10th 05, 07:06 AM

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
...refused to fly with someone you felt was not entirely safe?

Yes, I have declined.
Being a woman, it's hard to say if it was uneasiness about the man/woman
issue or about piloting skill, but something was definitely saying
"don't go", and he looked pretty shocked when I said, "No thanks, I
don't know how you fly!" It always amazes me how people just assume that
all pilots are *SO* desperate to be up in the air that they'll accept an
flight invite from ANYONE, regardless of how little they know about the
person, their piloting history, etc. Most self-respecting, reasonably
intelligent women won't get into a car with a man they just met and know
nothing about; why do men think asking a woman they just met to get into
an airplane with them is any different?

I have also declined a few invites from people I frequently fly and have
confidence with, when wind or other weather has been beyond what I feel
is safe.