Old January 24th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines - cracked crank link

"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..
"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
Yes. I know that they do, and new design engines are notorious; as are
design improvements, changes of supplier, etc. And they include plenty

of
reasons for loss of power not caused by the crankshaft!

However, my concerns include, reliability, maintainability, and eventual
replacement; and I think you understand my point.

At this point, the Jabiru 3300 is the only engine that really looks to

me
like a promising replacement; and I really don't know its service

record.
However, albeit at a higher dollar price, its features seem to preserve:
1)
similar or lighter weight, 2) similar or higher power, 3) six cylinder
smoothness, 4) reasonably slow idle, and 5) similar dimmensions.
Additional
benefits are designed in dual ignition and an updraft intake system,
similar
to Lycoming and Continental, which should be more resistant to ice.

Peter..........

Since you answered seriously, I will too. I can agree on the higher price
and on #1-3 and #5. I don't understand #4 - do Corvairs idle unreasonably
high? The dual ignition is good if the Jabiru 3300 truly has two

stand-alone
systems. The intake direction is irrelevant if the Corvair is

fuel-injected
or has a heated intake manifold. Updraft carbs are a lot better at
preventing fire as well. The small Continentals will ice up if you look at
them cross-eyed even with updraft intake.

Rich S.

The Corvairs have a very good idle. But the Rotax, which is one of the
possible replacements I would include on my list, seems to have a minimum
operating speed restriction. On a KR-2, which has no flaps, I suspect it
would result in very flat final approaches.

You are right about the small Contintals, time has gone by and I just plain
forgot.