Old November 27th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default BMW engine aircraft suitable?

"Karl-Heinz Künzel" wrote in message
Morgans schrieb:
"Ralf Mueller" wrote in message
just read about the new BMW S 1000 RR bike. The complete engine assembly
is less than 60 KG. Engine puts out 193HP (112 Nm, 12,000rpm). Wouldn't
that one (slightly detuned) make a nice SLA powerplant ;-))

193 HP ??? Are you positive about that number? I would like to see
where that number came from, if it is available on the net, if you
wouldn't mind.

If it is correct, that should do rather nicely. People have flown BMW
bike engines in the past. I believe that most of the successful ones
have used a different gearbox to reduce the prop RPM. Seems to me that I
remember that they adapted a Rotax gearbox to the job, but I doubt that
there are any Rotax gearboxed that could handle 193 HP.

Here in Germany we do have this BMW conversion -

http://www.takeoff-ul.de/pdf%27s/Des...ne_02-2006.pdf

but those numbers are far away from 193HP (112 Nm, 12,000rpm).

KH

The spur gear system should work reliably provided that the centrifugal
clutch is on the engine side, rather than the propeller side, of the gears.

Peter