Old August 24th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Getting rid of the bugs and gotchas!

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:09:01 -0700 (PDT), Ramy
wrote:

Seems like many pilots are using multiple complicated methods to
determine their final glides. Most are using MC settings for that
purpose. Is it just me who never use MC setting to determine arrival,
but using bug factor instead? Following the KISS principal, this is
the simplest way. No need to compare L/D, guesstimate MC, disconnect
the vario or ignore the MC speed to fly, etc. Just set your bug factor
to degrade your polar to something you are comfortable with (I found
70-75% to work fine most of the time), set your MC to zero and watch
your arrival altitude. Once you are comfortable with the arrival
altitude just keep maintain the same number by either speeding up or
slowing down. Works perfect for me.

.... but is neither accurate, nor fast, not safer.

Most pilots don't want to waste time (or simply don't have the
weather) to climb extremely high in the last thermal, hence they
follow McCready's advice that has been proven for the last 50 years:
Set the average climb rate of the last thermal as MC setting, add the
bug factor, and leave the thermal once the arrival altitude is to your
liking. Works like a charm, and is extremely easy to use.
To be honest, I have difficulties to find an explanation why something
different (your settings, for example) should be less complicated.

What you are doing is simply to abandon the performance of your 56:1
ship and fly it like a 30:1 Ka-6. Works, but is far, far away from the
optimum.

Cheers
Andreas