Old September 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
B2431

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/22/2004 11:55 AM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message
From: "Guinnog65"
lid
Date: 9/22/2004 5:21 AM Central Daylight Time

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:44:28 +0100, "Guinnog65"

wrote:

I had forgotten the details of the strike plans.

You have no idea of the strike plans period.

Neither, it seems, did the bold aviators and airmen on the night. They
killed civilians but failed to kill Gaddafi. They also caused damage to
several embassies in Tripoli, which was presumably not their intention.
They
lost a F-111, presumed to have been downed by AAA.

Afterwards, in the short term, several Western hostages were killed. In
the
longer term, Libyan support for (among other groups) the IRA continued
unabated.

Please continue to emit some more straw men and non sequiturs.

Straw men and non sequiturs I will leave up to you. You do them so well.

Are you that anti American that you feel the need to keep accusing us of
targeting civilians? Do you know so little about war that you don't
understand
innocent people die in war?

Ah Dan. This is no doubt just what Al Quaeda operatives tell themselves
before training young men to fly airliners into buildings. Presumably you
are ok about that as well?

OK, since you are incapable of understanding the difference between 9/11 where
they wanted a big civilian body count and strikes against military targets
where civilian casualties are not intended let me give you an example of a
military strike where civilian casualties can be expected but are not the
intended target.

In WW2 the USAAF is flying a mission to update the landscape of the haupt
bahnhof in Munich. Let's say this happens some day in early 1944. A B-17
piloted by Matthew Arthur Kramer is navigated to the target by a navigator
named Stephen Arthur Kramer. As he lines up on the bahnhof the pilot hands
control over to bombardier Henry Arthur Kramer who peers his bomb sight locates
the aiming point, steers the B-17 to the release point and pickles. Let's say
you are an innocent 10 year old. As you step off a train a 500 pound bomb taps
you on your head just before it works as advertised to move a few yards of
earth. Were you targetted? No, you would be collateral damage.

Now let's change the scenario a bit. Pilot Kramer deviates from the intended
mission plan, and decides to visit Switzerland where he flies into an building
full of accountants killing a hundred innocent civilians. Are civilians
intentionally targetted? Yes.

Do you see the difference now?

Or is it only foreign civilians who may die for your leaders' geopolitical
vision?

The only way you could have inferred that in anything I have ever posted in
this or other threads is your view of U.S. citizens is we are imperialists.
Perhaps you say silly things as above in an attempt to goad, irritate or
otherwise antagonise.

Not at all anti-American though, but somewhat anti- your current policy.

Does that include our policy of providing more aid to Palestinian refugees than
all Arab countries combined? Does that include our policy of sending aid to
disater victims in countries like Iran where their people are taught to hate
us? Does that include our policy to provide training for your air forces at
facilities in our country? Does that include our policy of providing medical
and educational aid to Iraq and Afghanistan?

Perhaps you should look at policies in your own country. Example: my brother in
law, a German citizen since birth, was a conscientious objector who was given
alternate duty in an abortion clinic. Makes sense to me since he would probably
never have seen combat but would have most assuredly been involved with the
killing of babies.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired