Old August 4th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Sylvain

Default FAA Rejects Farnsworth Lantern Test

Greg Copeland wrote:

"Important note: The FAA no longer accepts The Farnsworth Lantern D15."

the thing though is that the Farnsworth D15 is not a lantern test (there
is a Farnsworth lantern test -- favored by the British CAA -- but
that's different); the D15 is the thing where you line up colored
tokens in the 'right' order; pretty neat to determine
whether you are protanomalous, deuteranomalous or whatever is the third
one; any one can administer the test: buy the kit, follow the
instructions, piece of cake... (*) there are still a bunch of alternative
tests you might want to try before going for the lantern test. Not sure
you are loosing much with the D15: actually I would venture that
many pilots who think they have a normal color vision because they ace
the Ishihara would fail the D15 (and
the light gun test for that matter -- the last one I know for sure, did
test a few friends when I was preparing for my own waiver); hang in there!
the good news is that the FAA now issues a waiver instead of a SODA for
color vision thing, and apparently no longer make the distinction about
whether you passed the light gun test during day time or night time.

--Sylvain (oh, I am not an ophtalmo, so take what I say with a grain of
salt, but I did my home work before applying for the waiver)

ps (*) could be an idea for folks who went through and/or are going to
go through the process to pool resources and get our own set of test
kits to practice between ourselves, rather than forking off the high
fees ophtalmo charge for the privilege... you can actually improve your
performance on many of these tests by practicing; and of course just
for the fun of putting 'normal color vision' pilots through it as well
just to demonstrate how silly the whole thing is, but I digress :-)