Old January 20th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WestCDA

Default Wind limits - small single engine aircraft

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

you should be able to fly in conditions where the windsock is
horizontal from any direction.

I can't say I agree with this. I think it's worth pointing out that a
windsock is horizontal at 150 kts, just the same as it is at 15 kts. We had
conditions here a couple weeks ago (Rocky Mountain foothills)where the
windspeed at field elevation was gusting to 80 and 90 miles and hour.

do you know how to guess at the wind speed from the windsock angle?
its a useful skill.

Yes, up to the point the windsock is horizontal, after which you need a
better tool. I don't see that anyone has mentioned the demonstrated
crosswind component, which is in the P.O.H. for certified aircraft. You
may do better, but that's the best number the manufacturer achieved with a
new aircraft and a very good pilot. If the calculated crosswind based on
the wind speed, direction, and available runway exceeds the DCC for your
aircraft, it's cause for at least caution if not an outright scrub of the
flight.

If you're landing at an airport with an overly strong crosswind, and fuel or
other concerns don't allow finding another airport with a more favorable
runway, lack of control authority may make landing on and maintaining the
runway extremely difficult if not impossible.