Old April 20th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default Flight Restrictions on non-amateur built experimental aircraft??

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:29:34 GMT, Don W
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Currently there is an "experimental" Bell 206 /
OH58 helicopter on EBAY.

First off, you can't just "call it experimental." The FAA must issue an
airworthiness certificate in the Experimental category, and you must provide
them sufficient justification for them to do so.

I remembered it that way, and as I recall there
are significant restrictions on the "Exibition"
category regarding where and when you can fly your
aircraft.

It really varies. We've got a guy in our chapter with a Sportavia RF-5B
motorglider with an Ex/Ex certificate. While I was helping annual my airplane
this afternoon, he walked by and I asked him about it.

His operating limitations are really no different from Ex-AM. His certification
is permanent, he doesn't have to contact the FAA regularly, and the only
limitations is a mention to not fly over congested areas except while taking off
and landing.

It seems to depend on whether you get a friendly DAR and/or FSDO, and probably
with the history/certification status of the plane. The RF-5 is a certified
plane in Europe, and the Limbach was probably the only hindrance to getting it
certified here.

Ron Wanttaja