Old February 2nd 05, 03:09 PM
Dave Butler

BTIZ wrote:
I'm not familiar with the A5 or A6.. I have an A-22, the NAV function is not
of much use with the rubber ducky antenna on my A-22... I've tried to use it
once.. so.. maybe save the $ and not get the Nav model... but.. it would be
good to be able to transmit on one when you have to listen to the VOR freq
to get FSS.. so maybe the NAV function would be worth it for that reason
alone.

I do not have the sport model, but an alkaline battery will last longer in
storage than the NiMH.
But I use my A-22 every weekend and it goes on the charger every Friday
night. It is my primary radio while providing glider instruction (training
glider not equipped with mounted radio or battery)and monitoring the
freq/traffic pattern from airfield ops (out on the airfield).. I do keep a
battery backup (alkaline) in the flight bag.. when I needed it, the 10 AA
batteries lasted about 5 hours of continuous use.

I'm also not familiar with either A5 or A6. I have an A-something, maybe A22. I
was able to get an aux battery pack so the rechargeables stay in the unit all
the time for occasional use, and the alkaline pack is right there in my flight
bag with fresh batteries in case I really need it. Picked up the aux pack at OSH.