Old February 2nd 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nephi, UT

It's western soaring so generally you fly airport to airport. The two valleys that run south 100 miles to Parowan are well fielded but with irrigation systems. Out west can be great soaring over open desert so you need to take care. Generally you are 7-10k AGL so you keep airports in range. Tasking to the north is tiger country so conditions have to be great.

Nephi airport is a single N-S runway 75 - 100 feet wide. Last year we had 25mph crosswinds due to OD to the east and many landed in a field next to the airport. This year I understand they are grooming a cross runway on the airport.

Many Libelles have flown the area successfly and new pilots are fine as long as they learn where the airports are and stick with good options