Old June 30th 03, 10:24 PM
James M. Knox

Default Satellite Radio to broadcast weather data

"John Harlow" wrote in
:

Also, $50 / month (plus "activation" fee and equipment) is
ridiculously high. I'm sure a competitor will easily beat that soon.

Made me think twice about my current XM subscription.

It seems clear that the business model for most of these weather providers
is essentially that of the razor blade industry (only for "give away"
substitute "charge thousands of dollars" G). They see the perpetual
income stream that Jepps gets from every GPS and moving map sold, and want
in on it.

Trouble is, while $600 per year may not be bad for a corporate jet that
flies several times a week (or more) in virtually any weather, the rest of
GA is largely "fair weather" fliers. The weather information will be very
useful, potentially even life-saving, but may only really be needed a few
times per year. So you are talking about adding perhaps $150 to the cost
of each of those flights. Pretty steep.

Trouble is, a "per use" business model doesn't give you a sustaining (or
easily relied upon) income.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331