Old May 28th 05, 12:09 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

The biggest reason I've heard (and feel often enough) is that you're
likely to get "vectored" even if clear of controlled airspace.

I assume you mean clear of Class C or Class B airspace when you say "clear
of controlled airspace". To actually be clear of controlled airspace you'd
have to be in Class G airspace.

I've got a friend with a turbo Arrow that flies along VFR without flight
following right
over the top of Class C and Class B at 10500 or 11500. If you were to
call up
approach while doing, that, seems like 9 times out of 10 they'll vector
you 10-20
miles out of the way. Similarly if you're skirting under an airspace...
likely to get
vectored further out.

ATC shouldn't vector him over or under Class B airspace, but it's proper to
do so if need be with Class C airspace. Class C services are provided in
Class C airspace proper and also within the Outer Area.

"Though not requiring regulatory action, Class C airspace areas have a
procedural Outer Area. Normally this area is 20 NM from the primary Class C
airspace airport. Its vertical limit extends from the lower limits of
radio/radar coverage up to the ceiling of the approach control's delegated
airspace, excluding the Class C airspace itself, and other airspace as
appropriate. (This outer area is not charted.)"

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/AIM/Chap3/aim0302.html#3-2-4