Old July 9th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default AS 33

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:15:05 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
At 16:18 09 July 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 11:26:25 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 07/07/2018 00:59, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
=20
Schleicher and Schempp have a long history of making great

gliders.
Jo=
nkers has started that tradition too, however they have only produced

han=
dful of gliders compared to the other two listed.
=20
The Jonkers started out with the aim of building a world class 18m

ship.=
=20
In the upcoming world championships 17 out of 46 in the 18m class

are=20
Jonkers so I guess they have achieved that.
=20
I would have thought that competing with a 21m glider against

28m=20
gliders would be like taking a knife to gun fight. But 17 out of 32=20
entries in open class are JS1c's. That's over 50% of the entries!

They=20
have changed the nature of open class.
=20
Then there are 5 out of 37 JS3's in the just started 15m

championship.=20
They were placed 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 12th yesterday.
=20
Of course there are no Jonkers gliders in the club class! Most of

the=20
club class fleet were built when the Jonker brothers were still at

school=
..
=20
What is surprising about their achievement, is not that they

have=20
designed and built world competitive gliders, not that they are=20
competitive in 3 different classes. But the speed with which they

have=20
managed to progress from drawing board (computer) to prototype

to=20
production and certification.

Jonkers have saved the open class. Too bad the Quintus didn't make it

f=
ull production, I understand it handles MUCH better than a JS-c-21.
Hoping=
SH makes a Nimbus 5 or Quintus 2 or AS makes a follow on to their

amazing
=
ASW-22. I loved the open class, in the air, not so much on the ground.

You could have bought an Antares 23......

No, if Lange couldn't work with SH to get them the data they needed to get the quintus certified, they why would they work with me any better?