Old February 13th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross[_2_]

Default Rent vs. Own

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Feb 11, 8:05 pm, "Frank" wrote:

3) Normal service for plane (how often does the plane have to be serviced...and approximately how much?)
4) Repairs (I understand this is unpredictable...is their an annual "average" cost for problems?)

Nope, no average. You really cannot predict what you will pay for
maintenance. However, the cost of ownership will typically be higher
for an owner who flys less than 200 hrs/yr. The FBO is averaging the
cost of the plane over more pilots.

-Robert

But the one thing you cannot put a price on it being able to walk out to
you airplane and fly it after a week of bad weather and there is no one
in line in front of you. The plane is exactly as you left it and not the
prior renter. The condition of the plane is known to you because you
assisted the A&P/IA in its annual and any repairs that come along. I fly
about 60 to 70 hours a year and I know I am paying more than renting.
But I would not trade this for anything.

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI