Old April 5th 17, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:33:38 -0700, Sean Fidler wrote:

Martin, I was referring to the obvious requirement for each "tracked" US
glider to contain a nearly $2000 USD powerFlarm device, not the cost of
the Flarm radar antenna. The folks here in the US are often quite
sensitive to that cost and feel that Flarm leeching is a suitable means
of winning competitions. Yes, really.

OK, I misunderstood you. To me a FLARM is typically an LX RedBox, which
sells here for £864 (say $1000), so a little over half the price of a
PowerFLARM Core.

I have a question for you. Is Flarm "required" in Europe or optional?

I think that depends on where you a I believe its required in the
Alps, but then there the Rescue helicopters and (probably) most GA
aircraft will also be carrying it.

If so, what are the penalties for non-compliance?

Not getting a launch?

If not unanimous, what European countries require Flarm, and what
countries do not? Thx.

AFAIK its not required anywhere else - at least I haven't seen anything
about it being required equipment anywhere else.

The density of gliders in the air on a good day in some places, and here
I'd include southern UK, is quite high. Since a large majority of them
will be carrying FLARM, it follows that being without it in our fairly
cloudy conditions is not clever. Another clue to the extent of UK takeup
is that all our club gliders, our tugs and our SF-25 TMG are FLARM
equipped.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK