Old April 23rd 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default DG-100 Headrest

At 23:33 22 April 2018, wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to get comfortable in a DG-100 that currently has no

headrest,
and am finding that my neck gets sore quite quickly without one.

I'm 6'3
and am very reclined in the cockpit (I have to be to fit). I'm using

national backpack chute.

I'm aware that the early DG-200s with the 2 piece canopy have a

headrest
mounted to the hinge mechanism. I've also been told that some

DG-100s have
a headrest integral to the backrest.

Does anyone have any info on this that might help?

Cheers,
Nick Gilbert.

Have you tried not using the backrest? If not, that will probably
give you more room to sit a little more erectly. I have also found a
memory foam cushion about 18" x 6" x 4" that fits above my chute
pretty nicely. I am 6' 2" and in most gliders I had flown before my D-2b,
I found that I had to remove the backrest to be at least semi-comfortable
(including DG-100 and DG-300). I have also been
known to put an extra jacket, fleece, canopy cover, etc in the front
of the luggage compartment (leaving enough of an area for vent air
to pass through) in order to put a headrest kind of cushion (which
might be fastened with some velcro, etc on the inside of the turtle-
deck) in front of all that. Experiment to find out what you need, and
then design a solution. You may have to cut some foam yourself,
and then have a cover sewn for it. I did that for my ASW-19 after
removing the backrest.

RO