Old November 17th 03, 07:51 PM
Snowbird

(Michael) wrote in message . com...
(Snowbird) wrote
Some of the planes studied are also noted for responsive handling
rather than stability (ie Bonanza vs. Archer, Malibu vs 172) which
may also be an issue.

I would suggest that overall cruise efficiency is the real issue, not
speed or fixed/retract gear. Cruise efficiency is a function of drag.
Specifically, since cruise occurs well above best glide speed, it is
a function of parasite drag. If you fail the vacuum instruments in
the climb, the real life loss of control is going to be overspeed or
overgee while banked steeply. The airplane most efficient in cruise
will also accelerate into that situation the quickest.

I suspect you've identified a reasonable guess.

I would love to see a Tiger vs. Arrow study - somehow, having flown
both, I have the feeling the fixed gear advantage would go away.

Very possibly. Likewise with the new generation of fast-glass fixed
gears.

Cheers,
Sydney