Old March 27th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

I witnessed a fatal Junior crash in 2007:

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-
reports/aviation/2007/a07o0233/a07o0233.asp

The report left a lot out.

Yes, full spoilers were put out in a panic move, but the small stature
student
rotated her shoulders to get them out and inadvertently pushed the stick
forward.

Ergonomics played a much bigger part than aerodynamics.

A high flare with full spoilers will likely result in a hard landing, but
futzing with
spoilers low down can destabilize a landing. I recall three landings in my
first
solo in a certain two seater not that long ago.

A low flare at good speed with full spoilers can work. Reducing spoilers at
that
point can add a few hundred yards to the landing.