Old March 27th 18, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

tiistai 27. maaliskuuta 2018 2.47.36 UTC+3 son_of_flubber kirjoitti:
The PW-6 has very effective spoilers, and some other gliders have even more effective spoilers. Assuming C.G. is within limits and runway is level, is it possible to round out and flare with the spoilers fully open? Does one need extra airspeed? How much extra? (Yep. I know it is advisable to reduce spoilers before entering roundout.)

How do you teach steep descent to students? How steep? How fast?

I saw this question come up in a discussion of a fatal accident in a SZD 51-1 Junior. Student pilot opened 'full spoilers' and failed to flare.

Is a 'full spoiler flare' required to obtain glider certification in EASA?

And finally, does the PW-6 have spoilers or airbrakes?

Full spoilers landing is essential technique to teach students as this is the configuration they will use in 95% of the future outlandings. Requirements for speed control and timing of the flare are more demanding and some firm touchdowns inevitably follows.