Old March 27th 18, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:47:36 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
The PW-6 has very effective spoilers, and some other gliders have even more effective spoilers. Assuming C.G. is within limits and runway is level, is it possible to round out and flare with the spoilers fully open? Does one need extra airspeed? How much extra? (Yep. I know it is advisable to reduce spoilers before entering roundout.)

How do you teach steep descent to students? How steep? How fast?

I saw this question come up in a discussion of a fatal accident in a SZD 51-1 Junior. Student pilot opened 'full spoilers' and failed to flare.

Is a 'full spoiler flare' required to obtain glider certification in EASA?

And finally, does the PW-6 have spoilers or airbrakes?

It is essential that full spoiler landings to a spot are taught during the training process for glider pilots. I have argued this for many years, there is no room for high energy approaches while landing off field. Back in my early days of training and I do go back for a long time ago, we were taught to make full spoiler landings to a certain spot. This came in pretty handy back in the late 70's when I made my first off field landing at a state prison facility. Believe me, there was no room for error and the interrogation afterwards was worse than the landing.
Now I see students being taught to make approaches to landing using very little spoiler and continuous adjustments until touchdown. I call it the power approach, I have stressed to some of the instructors that at some point the full spoiler approach to touchdown could be very helpful and increase the glider pilots skill.