Old March 27th 18, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

I'd agree that the full air brake or spoiler or dive brake approach to a spot landing is a critical skill. It's one more tool in the tool kit - ready to be used when needed. Pilots should be able to adapt, configure and fly the approach and landing as needed. Some student have been taught to apply full air brakes or spoiler or dive brakes abeam the touchdown point and hold that all the way until touchdown (excitement for sure). Some have been taught to not apply until short final. Some are not capable of adapting their pattern for winds, sink and or other variables,

Looking at the SSF and other data for landing accidents/incidents show, among other things, we can do a better job of teaching students and pilots to maintain a good situational awareness, adapt the pattern as necessary and actuall fly the glider all the way through the landing.

Regards Tom