Old October 3rd 05, 02:45 AM
Accessory Section 8

GeorgeB wrote:
On 26 Sep 2005 14:47:36 -0700, "
wrote:

The lubricity issue is one that I asked a buddy of mine aobut when
Thielert said their "auto based" engine would run JetA ...

Enquiring minds would like to know more.

Detroit Diesel sent out a notice recently that their Series 50 and 60
engines are now authorized to use DF-1, DF-2, JP-5/Jet-A and JP-8 with
full warranty support.

Airports have always run ramp tugs, fuel trucks (the Brits call them
"bowsers"), and start carts on Jet-A. Jet-A is NOT K-1 Kerosene, it has
a lubricity standard which is higher, and it's fine in most diesel
pumps. Adding some SAE 30 nondetergent oil to the fuel, or filtered
drain oil NOT contaminated with lead deposits, helps lubricity and will
offer added protection. I would not use two cycle oil because it has
octane improvers in some cases-octane improvers are cetane killers!

There is good reason to find a far higher percentage of diesel car
ownership among airline and corporate A&P's than one would expect.