Old September 9th 04, 03:53 PM
OXMORON1

I asked about the USAF training base closed in '68:
What USAF basic training base was that?

Steve replied:
Amarillo AFB. Lackland AFB became the sole USAF basic training base in 1956

snippage..
In early 1966 there was an
outbreak of meningitis at Lackland, so in February the Air Force diverted
incoming recruits to Amarillo for training. It was supposed to be just a
temporary measure, but due to the influx of trainees for the Vietnam
buildup, Amarillo continued basic training until December 1968.

Thanks, I should have remembered that. A high school classmate of mine died
during basic ( meningitis) about that time.

Rick Clark