Old January 31st 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

es330td wrote:
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

I fly with mine all the time, but I leave it off while onboard. The
radio fits into my bag better without the antenna. I have used it in
the terminal to listen to ground and clearance delivery.

The only time you'll hear the cockpit is if you're on an aircraft with a
comm feed in the entertainment system. The signal inside the aluminum
tube is nearly nil. Holding the radio up to a window, or using an
external antenna will probably get you in trouble as transceivers are
banned in the cabin on any airline I fly.

If you are a licensed pilot, just think of how stupid you'd look if you
got caught violating an FAA reg. If you're instrument rated, the reg is
something that appears on the written, so you'd look even dumber.