Old February 4th 04, 04:57 AM
Bruce A. Frank

Default Lathe Help

I have come by a lathe that has some electrical problems. The unit has a
2 hp 3 phase 220 volt motor. One of the magnetic relays was burned out
when I got the lathe. I replaces the relay, turned the switch on and the
brand new relay burned up also. Though the lathe came with most of the
tooling there was no manual and no circuit diagram anywhere. Since the
relays, there are 5 of them and a transformer, cost $57 each would like
to by pass that system and install a drum switch (to reverse the motor).
Trouble is I cannot trace out the system without just about
disassembling the whole thing.(several switches controling coolant pump,
light and other electrical additions) I built a rotating phase converter
and know that the motor runs just fine. I would like to find a manual
that has the electrical system diagrammed. The only ID I find on the
machine is "Doncho Enterprise Co. Ltd., Taipei, Taiwan, ROC." THe only
other info on the tag is the serial number and "type JH-1337." My Google
searches for the company have been fruitless. Grizzly has a couple of
lathes that look similar. Thought maybe the rights to build were sold to
someone building them for Grizzly. Grizzly says, "yours is not a Grizzly
lathe." There is no manufacture date but this thing is probably vintage
'60s. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

While trying to find the time to finish mine.