Old November 30th 03, 03:13 AM
damron

Yes, the 747 will be remembered. However, I think its place in history is
more evolutionary than revolutionary. The 707 more closely meets the
criteria that you presented. Its entry into service was truly
revolutionary.

The 747 revolutionized air travel and has moved billions of people
around the earth, making flight obtainable to everyone for a
reasonable price without the need to become a pilot or join the AF.

When the 747 entered service, prices did not drop. In many cases, fares
increased, as passengers were willing to pay a premium for non-stop service.
It took awhile before passengers benefitted from reduced operating costs.
Likewise, load factors limited the routes on which the 747 could be
operated.

Although you don't address it, the "average Joe" has never been an
international traveller. For the "average Joe", affordable domestic and
continental air service was revolutionary. For the "average Joe", the 727
and 737 were probably more revolutionary.

The 747 has established air routes that link the entire world and
moved cargo at a pace that transformed not only the delivery business
but the nations that rely on those resources to advance their own
industries.

Having worked extensivley in air cargo operations, we are in some agreement
here, but maybe not for reasons that you intended. If you were thinking
about 747 freighters, I would argue that the tremendous cargo capacity of
passenger 747's has played a bigger role in cargo transport, over the life
of the 747. The economics of operating a 747 freighter has always been a
bit problematic.

You guys need to get your heads out of your ass**, um... the clouds...
and think about the revolution the 747 has caused and the
accessability of flight to the average Joe.

It sounds like you need to pull your head out of your ass and learn more
about civil aviation