Old January 26th 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
km

Default Glider Paint Question

Dear Group,
I was talking to a paint guy who paints airplanes. He is going to
paint my glider in PU or AU (After I do all the prep work of course).
He ask if I would like to use a clear coat. Someone else with an
aviation background ask if a clear coat would work better than a
single stage. I know that 2 stage paint jobs are common on power
planes but I have never heard of this on a glass sailplane. One could
probably clear the wings fuse and horizontal but I think the control
surfaces would be too heavy (On the AS products I understand it is
difficult to keep them within limits).
My question is has anyone ever used a two stage paint job on a modern
composite sailplane? Or seen it done? Thanks