Old May 7th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

When I was flying my Nimbus4, I used airports as alternates. I really did not want to risk putting that bird anywhere and in over 400 hours, virtually all XC time, I never put it in a field, other than an airfield.

If you haven't priced a new glider, you might be surprised to find they are over $200K now. That is a lot of $ to put into a farmer's field of unknown hazards. Having said this, I did have a land out last summer on a "dryish" lake, but I really try to have landouts be at other airports.

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 10:36:54 AM UTC-7, K m wrote:
On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 2:15:07 AM UTC-7, Dave Walsh wrote:
Landing into an unknown farmers field is idiotic, why would
you willingly strap multi thousands of $'s of carbon fibre to
your backside and choose to land in a field?

This is one of the more "Idiotic" statements Ive seen on RAS. Do you have better suggestions on where to land out? Have farmers not created an inviting nuisance with their large flat and mostly unobstructed fields. Here's a newsflash, land outs are a part of the sport just like assembly, CAC checks, flat trailer tires, etc..
Keep us posted if you come up with a better option than farm fields.
Kirk
And to those who think soaring is expensive, it is. The question to ask; Is it worth it....