Old May 25th 18, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 8:58:07 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2:03:57 AM UTC+12, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:05:06 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
You guys are missing one of several elephants in the cockpit...

Most Americans think that small power planes are 'extremely dangerous', and whenever it slips out that I fly gliders, casual acquaintances think that I'm 'totally nuts'. The people that already know me well before they find out about my piloting are usually surprised because... 'But, you seem so normal!'

Another elephant.

"The average American borrower with a bachelor’s degree leaves campus with $28,400 in debt."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u...av=bottom-well

Which is about the price of a Camry. Or seven months rent of a small apartment in the San Francisco Bay area or New York. Or a twentieth the price of buying a house or apartment.

Just saw this in an article about RVs:

"Winnebago’s motor home retail prices range from just over $20,000 for compact towable models to more than half a million dollars for semi truck-sized class A mobile mansions"