Old October 30th 19, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

FAI Annex A rules (which are undergoing massive change) do not drive pilots to land out. Many WGCs and EGCs are run in eastern Europe and gliding/competition culture there is different. It is common to set task to sky that is totally dead. First turnpoint or even start point in steady rain? No problem, just go. And then we have 130 outlandings.

We have run nationals using Annex A for decades with very little problem of outlandings. Usually AAT is set on trickier days and if it's raining, we do not feel obliged to fly.

It is very convenient to blame rulebook for bad task setting.

I should add that proposed scoring change to Annex A (by USA) creates MASSIVE incentive to scratch home over the last trees and creates a huge outlanding risk. If I'm not wrong the same people here complaining the risk level introduced by Annex A rules actually drafted that proposal.