Old January 9th 05, 08:57 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

writes:

A friend brought up an interesting question. If a plane is big
enough to support onboard weather radar, and also has the XM
satellite weather link from ground Doppler radar, is it possible to
integrate the two sources into a single display?

My Aztec has an Avidyne MFD (with its weather downlink) plus a little
weather radar in the nose. The MFD lets me pick which one of the two
image sources to overlay on the map. I suspect seeing them both would
be confusing, given the difference in resolution, noise, rate of change.

Related question: If you could choose only onboard radar or XM
weather link, which would you prefer?

I've found them complimentary: the nexrad for a strategic large-scale
view, and the weather radar for tactical cell circumnavigation.
Having to choose just one, I'd go for nexrad, especially if I always
flew close enough to the States to use the overlapping coverage in my
native Canadian airspace.

- FChE