Old September 3rd 03, 07:58 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message

What are you using for display, Richard? Could you give a description of
your setup?

I am using a Windows XP laptop computer for the display. I do not want to
run the XMRadio box and my portable GPS and also my laptop computer all from
my airplane's cigarette lighter, so I bought a 7 Amp-hour rechargable 12V
battery with a cigarette lighter output and that powes the XMRadio and if
necessary it charges my laptop on longer flights. I got a big briefcase to
put all the boxes and wires in and it, although I am thinking a small
duffel-bag type carrier might turn out to be better in the long-run. It
also works fine technically but takes a bit of organization to set it up;
the advantage is that once it is set up, no intervention is required -- it
automatically updates weather every 5 minutes just like a radar or
stormscope, with no distracting button-pressing needed in-flight. That is a
big plus.. buy boy would it be a lot nicer if they could put all the
hardware into a PCMCIA card.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com