Old January 17th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default WWGC.

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 10:30:04 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:
At 10:48 17 January 2020, krasw wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 12:32:37 PM UTC+2, krasw wrote:
perjantai 17. tammikuuta 2020 8.47.08 UTC+2 krasw kirjoitti:
Hundreds of people around the world are trying to follow the

scores
and=
then we see on scoreboard "unsportsmanlike behaviour" with

penaltys that
a=
ctually change scores in every class, even one medalist is dropped

to 4th
p=
lace.
=20
AND NOT A WORD OF EXPLANATION. Just business as usual.

Here are some
ni=
ce pictures from the grid.
=20
And now people are asking about this via their FB page and yes

you
guesse=
d it, they are deleting comments.

Well this is awkward:

https://segelflug.aero/blog/blog/2020/01/17/what-means-

sportiness/

Google translated:

"Now back to the tracking systems:

One of them was tried out here in the competition and enabled all

pilots
to=
be shown with a delay of 15 minutes. At the end of the flight, this

was
re=
duced to 0 min.

Here is an example from the club class of the last day of the
classificatio=
n. The tracking time is shown at the top right. This picture then

appears
1=
5 minutes later on our displays.

Unfortunately, it now turned out that the Australian team,

represented by
*=
********, used the "raw data" for their pilots without delay.

The team captains rated this as "unsporting behavior". In the

following
hou=
rs there were four protests from different teams, the outcome of

which we
w=
ait and then publish. (First of all, there was a point deduction of

250
poi=
nts for every Australian pilot on the last day of the evaluation).

Our opinion is: "We don't just see the bypassing of the time delay

as
indiv=
idual, sporty trifles. It affects all gliding sports in terms of fairness
a=
nd sportiness, which we are committed to."

All goes back to what we want from a WGC? - the sport seems to
have 'morphed' from one where it was predominately individual
against individual using very little external aids into one where it
seems team flying and external team direction using sophisticated
technology as become the norm, if the team can afford it. IGC needs
not to be lead by the manufacturers and larger well funded
European teams -which unfortunately its seems is too often the
case.

Let the well funded Europeans run WGCs, makes American victories sweeter.