Old January 20th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default WWGC.

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 9:51:32 AM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 08:38:40 UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
This just blows my mind.
I've live in Australia and worked there.
Spent 4 full comps seasons Hang Gliding there.
This seems to me to be so out of character to the typical Aussies I know.
Cheating? NFW!
Its just not in their DNA if you ask me.
Does anyone really know what happened?
I'm not on FB
Did they use public tracking that was available to all with no time delay?
Or Did they hack the delayed tracking system?
How did they get caught?
Are team leaders in radio contact with their team all day?
What tipped other team leaders off that something was Up?

Best write up I have seen https://ussoaringteams.org/john-good...for-wwgc-2019/

John's analysis is very balanced and describes the situation very well. Those pilots (like myself) who have been around since the competition days of cameras and smoked barograph traces have been predicting this or similar dilemmas ever since we got GPS and other more advanced electronic capabilities. The question is whether to ban new developments completely or ensure that they are equally accessible to all competitors. An unenviable task for the rule makers and enforcers, as we have just witnessed.

Mike