Old January 20th 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default WWGC.

Thanks for sharing. This is a well written summary.

Within a few years from now, real-time internet will be available in almost every competition glider cockpit - perhaps that is already the case right now. This will enable sharing information on a scale that we cannot imagine yet. And no contest director will be able to track or even prevent this. In this light, I consider it a lucky (or unlucky, depends on how you look at this) coincidence that the incident happening in Lake Keepit became public at all.

My personal opinion on this: We better start thinking about how to incorporate this development in contest rules instead of sticking to the belief that we can prevent information from floating around freely.

Having said that, the unfortunate event in Australia was enabled by rules that will most likely be deprecated within the next decade.