Old October 28th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Compaq Aero and Windows Vista

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:35:11 -0700, Andy wrote:

Any one that thinks CF is "giant" must be too young to have worked with
RK05 diskpacks

RK05? A mere, lightweight pancake.

You obviously never worked with IBM 3330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
FileysanRemovableDiskPack.agr.jpg) or ICL EDS-200 (http://
http://www.johnberesford.com/profess...computing.html) diskpacks

I still like the format of CF.

There's another advantage too: CF-IDE adaptors are fairly easy to find
and fairly cheap. They allow a standard IDE (PATA) disk controller to
format and read/write a CF card as though its a standard IDE disk drive.
They provide a possible way out if you have an old, small disk drive fail
on fairly ancient kit. I lot of old systems have a controller and/or BIOS
that isn't able to understand disk partitioning and won't support drives
as big as current IDE drives: I've seen systems that limited partitions
to 2GB (OS limit) and the disk to no more than 6.2GB (hardware controller
limit) in total.

Sorry if this is OTT, but it might get somebody out of a hole someday.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK