Old January 29th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Chambers

Default Flying through the Atlantic Seaboard

Don't accept V44 it's way far out over open water. I was given it on
the ground at Milville for a return trip to CT and I refused it. They
call it the shark route.

Robert

Judah wrote:
"xyzzy" wrote in news:1169760531.861168.105800
@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I am considering taking a flight from central North Carolina to Cape
Cod in late March of this year. Up until all of my flying has been in
the Southeast, with IAD being as far north as I've ventured.

Playing with the AOPA planner the route looks pretty interesting -- go
just east of the DC ADIZ, then over Delaware and New Jersey (prolly
with a fuel stop in Millville or thereabouts) and then directly over
LGA, then arc (sort of) along the coast to Cape Cod. Can a C-172
actually get an IFR flight on a route like that (I'm thinking about
9000 feet), or should multiple reroutes be expected from ATC? Is
there a routing through that area that is preferred by controllers for
the small fry? Better or worse times to go through that area? I plan
to file IFR even if the weather is severe clear. For obvious reasons
I'd rather not take the overwater route to the east, but if I go west I
make the trip a lot longer.

(btw the actual route I'm looking at is: MOATS V155 MANGE V157 ENO
KMIV [prolly fuel stop here] RBV V123 LGA V475 PVD V167 PEAKE --
I know it can probably be cleaned up a little but that's the general
idea)

Any advice from veterans of this area would be appreciated!

Although they may not refuse your routing if the weather is good, they will
probably fly you over JFK, not LGA... AOPA's planner comes up with

VCN V16 ORW V475 PVD V167 PEAKE

And I'm inclined to believe that's more likely. I'm from HPN, so I
typically hit JFK and make my way up toward there coming in from the south,
or never make it to JFK coming in from the east.

Also, 9,000 will probably be fine. You can probably go lower if you want
over NYC area, but they probably won't let you below 7,000 or 6,000 on the
return flight. The handoffs in and out of NYC airspace are at that altitude
or higher.

Other than that, Nothing happens.