Old October 13th 17, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 12:54:24 PM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
Did anyone comment about departing aircraft from airports are climbing out and being in the way of arriving aircraft. At Newark when your landing on 04 you are down low for a long time. That is due to arrivals into Teterboro, LGA and JFK. Departures from these same airports force ATC to bring arrivals in lower than anyone wants. For airline pilots we would like to be at altitude until we pull the engines to idle and not move them until the flair. STARS help in that regard and lessens ATC workload. Flying into Reno one day, I was right over Minden airport at a reasonable glider altitude. The operations/glider pilots out there and ATC have a great relationship. We need more efforts like that to midigate problems like Chicago.

Military fighters climb at 300kts (except A-10’s) unless you want to show off. VR routes do allow flights down to 200ft AGL. I’ve been west of Seminole-Lake Gliderport and seen everything from B-52’s, F-16’s to C-130’s on the IR by the gliderport. When flying around Avon Park you have to watch for fighters using transiting to/from the bombing range under 5,000ft.

Florida has a great number of corporate jets that fly in our airspace. It isn’t uncommon to see jets below 5K skirting the Class B around Orlando to fly into Orlando Executive. They also transit to Ocala, Tampa, and Kissemmee VFR. I’m buying a transponder for my ship just to be a little more visible in the airspace. Hope to see some of you all down here in March.

Cheers,
Rich
ZO

Are these military aircraft equipped with transponders and/or ADS-B OUT? Do they show up on TIS-B in a properly ADS-B IN and OUT equipped aircraft?