Old December 13th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Typhoon502

Default The Melting Deck Plates Muddle - V-22 on LHD deck....

On Dec 11, 5:06*pm, Jack Linthicum
wrote:
ONR is looking for thermal management technologies that can keep the
deck surface temperature below 300ºF when exposed to MV-22 exhaust
plumes for 90 minutes before takeoff, and F-35B exhaust plumes for 2
minutes when landing. And cooling the deck is not enough - any
solution has to be compatible with the deck's non-skid coating. It
also has to be affordable and capable of being installed below deck or
retrofitted above deck. Tall order.

I've got this conversation at ONR in my head...

"We've got a problem. Those Ospreys are ****ing up the decks."

"Define '****ing up.'"

"Well, here's the problem. [snip detailed description and analysis]"

"Are you serious? They never accounted for that?"

"No sir."

"Well...what do we have that can take that kind of heat?"

"Nothing that I know of, sir."

"Well...damn...look, SOMEONE's gotta have something. Put out an RFI
and keep your fingers crossed."