Old July 6th 04, 09:35 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Hmm...based upon what are you making this statement? Note that I'm not
speaking of "wise" or "smart", but merely "legal".

If your airplane is new enough to have a POH then it will also be placarded
to say flight into known icing is prohibited and violating an airplane
limitation is illegal.

If your airplane is old enough not to be placarded against flight into known
icing conditions, then you are right that strictly speaking it is not
illegal to fly it in icing conditions.

What do you mean by "overpowered"? I hope that this isn't related to the
myth "a 182 can carry what it can hold", as this just isn't true. Shove
four real adults in, and you cannot carry full fuel.

The point is that a C182 carries way more useful load than most 4-place
airplanes. At typical loadings a C182 does not have nearly the same
problems with density altitude as say a C152.

Our 182Q is quite prone to carb icing, if that's what you mean by

induction.

No, I mean icing which stops air intake into the engine's induction system.
Even a fuel injected airplane without a carburetor can get induction icing;
on my P210 there is a door which automatically opens to provide an alternate
source of air to the engine if the main intake is clogged, although this
causes a big reduction in power, typically 8-10 inches.

I don't have my notes with me, but I believe it weeps onto the prop,
pilot-side windscreen, and leading edges of wings and elevators.

That's the basics. A "known ice" TKS system would in addition have a high
capacity pitot tube, heated stall warning, dual alternators, and dual TKS
pumps, as well as in-flight icing tests during the STC approval process.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com