Old May 1st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Victor Airways in Cessna G1000 T182T

Sam Spade wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:

Amen. It seems utterly braindead not to have that ability. The cost
is minimal in terms of either CPU time or storage space, and the
convenience is huge. I absolutely cannot understand why the G1000
does not support that.

My guess is that it was an emotional decision on the part of the
gentleman who runs the part of Garmin that makes the IFR panel mounts.
He got kicked a lot in the shins about the lack of airway databases in
the 400500 series. Apparently, they could not add that feature to the
400/500 series (prior to the someday-big-upgrade) because of lack of
platform capability.

So, perhaps he felt it would make the 400/500 product line look worse to
have designed the G1000 with an airway database.

Since noone else has mentioned it: The Garmin GNS480 understands airways... and
it *does* make the 400/500 product line look worse, in a lot of ways.

DGB