Old November 27th 19, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default In flight phone/camera charging

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:30:28 PM UTC-5, Brian wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:27:30 AM UTC-7, Emir Sherbi wrote:
I had a lot of noise issues with the USB ports. Some of them work, others not. The most practical was to carry a portable powerbank, but is another thing that you have to remember to charge....

I have tried a few as well and also had issues with noise. So far been using a powerbank as well. But if willing to try some recommendations for low noise outlets.

Brian

I use a cheap Autek brand 12V to 5V converter for powering the Nook, and with some ferrite rings on the input and output wires there isn't any significant radio noise.

A "power bank" may create noise too. Each such has a 3.7V lithium battery coupled with a switching mode power circuit to convert it to 5V output. That said, has anybody had noise issues with them in practice? Also in turbulent conditions simply putting the power bank in a side pocket may not be safe.