Old November 23rd 03, 09:43 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply Jim:

I will try that! I generally use ALT/NAV/ and in the jets ALT/NAV/IAS
because I tend to like to take a lot of long flights-east coast to europe,
europe to asia west coast to oceania etc, in real time, not multiple
sessions, so if I'm away from the computer for awhile i.e. sleeping or
whatnot, the plane can continue to its destination or next stop if refueling
is needed. If I'm still snoozing it will circle the airport till I get back
to it (unless it flames out or runs out of fuel hehe).

Regards to all and thanks so much for your help!

"Jim Hendrickson" wrote in message

"SouthBayGuy" wrote in message
link.net...
Hello Everyone:

2. Auto Pilot Problem-Now THIS is the thing that is frustrating. When

I'm
flying any of the lighter aircraft, really anything other than the
airliners, when the A/P is set for altitude it keeps the trim so nose

high,
the airplane can't pass 80 knots or so. This is especially bad in the

172
182 and Mooney. The twins do it to an extent; it doesn't really happen

in
the jets because you can set the A/P to maintain IAS. Is there ANY way

stop the A/P from setting the trim so nose high? I've also noticed that

when
flying along in A/P that periodically the plane will suddenly act like

it
was hit by a gust (even with wind turned off), slip, raise and fall a

bit,
then try to go back to the heading and altitude (and of course roll the
elevator trim way high! UGH!).

I have found there to be a "bug" in the 172 autopilot (KAP-140) as well.
Whenever I engage the autopilot, which I usually only use in HDG or NAV
mode, it takes pitch authority even though I don't have ALT hold set. I

get
around this by toggling the ALT hold on and off whenever I engage the
autopilot. I usually don't use the ALT modes, so you may want to try
toggling ALT ON, OFF, then back ON and see if you still have the problem.