Old January 17th 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Electric Duct Fan (EDF) Self-Launch Glider?

On Jan 17, 3:20*pm, CLewis95 wrote:
thx for comments so far ... another clarification to my "proposition"
here though:

I do understand why large, slow turning prop is more efficient. *My
question is "How feasible would it be to use currently avaiable, off-
the-shelf EDF systems to achieve stated, limited goals?" *.. *the
trade off being much lower cost, simpler design, triple redundancy,
etc.

This EDF approach may never compete commercially or performance wise
with Jet Turbine or current conventional gas or electric prop
systems ... I'm just curious if adapting small EDF's could achieve the
very limited goals in my proposed scenario.

- 60lbs Thrust
- 10 minute duration (no reserve)
- Climb from 1,000' MSL to 1,500' AGL
- Using Paved Runway
- No taxi .. prepositioned on runway
- No tailwind component

While certainly not a feasible commercial solution .. it would be a
really neat experiment

Curt -95

For a self launch - probably not. For a sustainer - maybe. Heck, you
could put 2 or 3 on a stick, poke them out a storm window and find
out.