View Single Post
Old September 27th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

Only compass that works as a data source for wind vector calculations, to my knowledge, is the Zander's. Of course, it is part of the Zander system (can't add the Zander compass interface to instruments by other manufacturers).

I would discourage anyone from adding an electronic compass module to their existing computers, as it's just not working properly. Probably due to extreme sensibility to pitch changes, and software unable to correct that.
If on a low budget, buy a working, used Zander set.
If on a higher budget, try the newer inertial varios.

I agree that accurate and real-time wind calculation is of very high interest to soaring techniques. I used it for years and I just can't adapt to fly woithout it.

all IMVHO, of course!

Aldo Cernezzi

It is not enough to throw in electric compass if the system is not up to it. Many variometer systems have compass option that manufacturers do not use for any meaningful data. Representative of one company told me of pilot who was very happy after installing optional compass module. He didn't have the heart to tell pilot that variometer firmware version couldn't use compass data at all. I always take pilot reports with a grain of salt.